$26,981,445 contributed by the USA Foundation to the University of South Alabama for first six months of fiscal year 2022.
- $5,581,995 semi-annual contribution to the University of South Alabama was approved by the USA Foundation Board of Directors at its December 9, 2021, meeting. (Please see Detail 2022 for complete listing.)
- Highlights of the Foundation’s contributions from July 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, are:
- $530,442 for scholarship support, including $375,000 for the Whiddon Scholars program;
- $1,620,958 for faculty support, including support of 36 professorships;
- $3,679,045 for academic programs including:
- $226,700 for USA Foundation Research Fellowships and graduate assistantship stipends;
- $110,000 for Faculty Development Fund, for faculty travel support;
- $2,076,949 for support of USA Health for equipment for the Mitchell Cancer Institute;
- $618,447 for Clinical Support Fund;
- $361,235 for Hospital Equipment;
- $20,000 for the USA South CARES Fund and Jag Pantry Fund; and
- $21,151,000 for the expansion/renovation of the College of Medicine Medical Sciences Building.
- Contributions from the Disproportionate Share Hospital Funds (DSH Funds) for the six-month period ending December 31, 2021, total $3,056,631.
- A spotlight on the Charlotte H. and Samuel Eichold Scholarship Fund:
Dr. Sam Eichold had great foresight in providing funds for scholarships for medical students. This fund has provided more than $196,000 since awards were first made in 2007. This year, $6,000 was provided to support medical students in the College of Medicine. Dr. Eichold established the fund in 2001 to be named for his wife, Charlotte, and himself. Dr. Eichold was a legendary figure in medicine in Mobile and a faculty member and advocate for the College of Medicine in its nascent years. Their children, Dr. Bert Eichold and his wife Carolyn, and Ms. Beth Eichold Walmsley, have continued the support of this fund that has provided needed assistance to many medical students.
- A spotlight on the Frank Greiner Radiology Employee Award:
In 2016, the family of Frank Greiner, M.D., a highly regarded neuroradiologist at South, established the Frank Greiner Radiology Employee Award to recognize a non-administrative employee associated with supporting the work of the USA Department of Radiology. The award recognizes individuals, who are non-medical or non-nursing, for their excellence of work and independence and self-initiative. In 2021-2022, the award was $6,057.
- Please see Detail 2022 for complete listing.
- More than $231 Million in support of the University of South Alabama
Through December 31, 2021, the Foundation has provided more than $231 Million in support of the University of South Alabama:
- $25.50 Million to support student scholarships;
- $80.07 Million to support faculty; and
- $126.04 Million to support academic programs.