$10,862,630 contributed by the USA Foundation to the University of South Alabama for the fiscal year 2020-2021.
- $5,059,447 semi-annual contribution to the University of South Alabama was approved by the USA Foundation Board of Directors at its June 10, 2021 meeting. (Please see Detail 2021 for complete listing.)
- Highlights of the Foundation’s contributions from July 1, 2020, through June 30, 2021, are:
- $1,129,555 for scholarship support, including $750,000 for the Whiddon Scholars program;
- $2,694,099 for faculty support, including support of 36 professorships;
- $7,038,976 for academic programs including:
- $480,900 for USA Foundation Research Fellowships and graduate assistantship stipends;
- $220,000 for Faculty Development Fund, for faculty travel support;
- $3,796,102 for support of USA Health for equipment for the new Freestanding Emergency Department;
- $1,140,292 for Clinical Support Fund; and
- $663,656 for Hospital Equipment;
- $40,000 for South Cares Fund and USA Health Pandemic Emergency Fund; and
- $75,000 for three nurse stations in the Fanny Meisler Trauma Center.
- Contributions from the Disproportionate Share Hospital Funds (DSH Funds) for the twelve-month period ending June 30, 2021, total $5,600,050.
- A spotlight on the Charlotte H. and Samuel Eichold Scholarship Fund:
Dr. Sam Eichold had great foresight in providing funds for scholarships for medical students. This fund has provided more than $190,000 since awards were first made in 2007. This year, $15,000 was provided to support medical students in the College of Medicine. Dr. Eichold established the fund in 2001 to be named for his wife, Charlotte, and himself. Dr. Eichold was a legendary figure in medicine in Mobile and a faculty member and advocate for the College of Medicine in its nascent years. Their children, Dr. Bert Eichold and his wife Carolyn, and Ms. Beth Eichold Walmsley, have continued the support of this fund that has provided needed assistance to many medical students.
- A spotlight on the Frank Greiner Radiology Employee Award:
In 2016, the family of Frank Greiner, M.D., a highly regarded neuroradiologist at South, established the Frank Greiner Radiology Employee Award to recognize a non-administrative employee associated with supporting the work of the USA Department of Radiology. The award recognizes individuals, who are non-medical or non-nursing, for their excellence of work and independence and self-initiative. In 2020-2021, the award was $5,441.
- A spotlight on the Minnie W. and Montgomery C. Stallworth Scholarships:
Mr. Jack Stallworth, a local philanthropist and businessman, established two scholarships in memory of his parents, Minnie W. Stallworth and Montgomery C. Stallworth. The scholarships are provided to students majoring in history with an emphasis in Southern history. A total of $83,333 has been awarded to students since 2009. Mr. Stallworth provided a lasting legacy through these scholarships, as well as through an annual lectureship in Southern history, the N. Jack Stallworth Lectureship.
- Please see Detail 2021 for complete listing.
- More than $204 Million in support of the University of South Alabama
Through June 30, 2021, the Foundation has provided more than $204 Million in support of the University of South Alabama:
- $24.9 Million to support student scholarships;
- $78.4 Million to support faculty; and
- $101.2 Million to support academic programs.